Measuring 150.57 metres, classic yacht El Mahrousa was first delivered by the Samuda Brothers shipyard in 1865 and managed to carry the title of the world’s biggest yacht unchallenged for over a century before eventually being surpassed by a new-build in the 1980s. She was originally built for the Ottoman governor of Egypt, Khedive Ismail, to receive visiting dignitaries, and was present at the opening ceremony of the Suez Canal in 1869. She also played a part as the Egyptian representative at the 1976 Bicentennial Fleet Review in New York harbour. Under the power of three Parsons steam turbines, she can reach a top speed of 16 knots.
She has been refitted multiple times; in 1872, when her paddle wheels were removed, she was lengthened by 12.1 metres. She saw a further extension of 5.2 metres in 1905. By the end of the 20th century, however, El Mahrousa had fallen into disrepair and was relegated to serving as a museum ship. In 1992, she underwent a major refit so that she could sail to Italy for the Christopher Columbus Fleet Review, and she now serves as the Egyptian presidential Yacht though she is seldom seen in public. She is usually berthed in Alexandria and is listed as a training ship for the Egyptian Navy.