New breakthrough 58m WHY superyacht proceeds on schedule
by Malcolm MacLean
A full-sized mockup was built in Ancona, Italy and extensive R&D tests led to several modifications of the concept as detailed below:
1) The shape of the Venetian blind sliding roof has changed to a flat surface to maximise the photovoltaic efficiency.
2) The interior area aft of the wheelhouse now features two guest lounges and cabins for the Captain and First Officer.
3) The proportion between interior and exterior volumes of the upper and owner decks has been revised to further increase the interiors. The new accommodation layout provides for an owner's suite with two double cabins plus six guest cabins for a total of 16 guests.
4) The deck walk-around has been improved reducing the gradient to eight degrees maximum.
5) The forward swimming pool has been widened by reducing the bulwark and moving the helipad slightly aft.
Finally, the exhaustive preliminary technical dossier is ready to be submitted to two European and one USA yard. The outcome of these consultations, defining price and building time, is expected in July 2010.