The Fort Lauderdale International Boat Show (FLIBS) will go ahead despite a raft of industry cancellations due to the coronavirus pandemic.
The Marine Industries Association of South Florida (MIASF), together with show organiser Informa, has confirmed that the international yacht show will take place from October 28 – November 1.
Both parties said the event had secured county and city support and yesterday’s Broward County Commission meeting had approved the show.
Both MIASF and Informa said efforts had been made to safeguard the show, with measures including a contactless ticketing system, widened docks, temperature checks and a total of 14 different entrances.
Deep cleaning and disinfection of “high touch points” will take place every hour during show opening hours while face coverings will be required by all exhibitors and ticket holders.
President of Informa US Boat Shows Andrew Doole said organisers had “worked diligently to develop a plan so that every person who attends the show can do with confidence.”
He added: “We recognise the importance of the show and have spoken with key stakeholders, customers and local government officials, and the resounding response has been in support of moving forward with the outdoor event this fall.”
Fort Lauderdale mayor Dean Trantalis said: “It is vital that we get our economy back on track. The upcoming boat show is critical to accomplishing that because the show has a major positive economic impact on Fort Lauderdale by supporting local businesses and their employees.”
He added that “public health will be protected.”
“Fort Lauderdale has been a leader in addressing the COVID-19 pandemic, and we have worked with the boat show to put together a solid plan to ensure it will be held with the utmost safety," he said.